Wednesday 6 April 2011

The Human Centipede (first sequence)


I watched this film due to the fact it was on Sky, so I would not have to spend any money, and also through morbid curiosity, like when you are a child in the back of a car and you drive past a car accident; the adults tell you to close your eyes but you have a little peek to see the gruesome reality. I am not easily shocked by film, perhaps I have been de-sensitised by watching too many 18 certificate films when I was very underage, and The Human Centipede intrigued me, could it shock me? The notion of the film is a mad German scientist wants to create a human centipede by joining three people together- mouth to anus, enough said. Dieter Laser is believable and suitably creepy as Dr Heiter, his gaunt and unusual face proving great casting, the other characters and acting are superfluous really and as with a lot of horror films they are just fillers for the main story of the crazy.
At 92 minutes it is a comfortable length and I was absorbed and drawn into the sick world for the whole duration. For me the most cringe worthy part was one of the girls ripping out the iv drip from her arm and still makes my arms feel funny thinking about it.  As a viewer you feel quite perverse watching the creation of the centipede and this feeling of voyeurism and perversity is perhaps the film's greatest achievement. There are laugh out loud moments of absurdity and some of the acting is rather terrible, as is the depiction of Germans, but I found myself genuinely feeling for the victims and wanting them to get away. The ending is good, not great, and I am curious as to how Tom Six will continue the story in The Human Centipede 2 (full sequence). I was not shocked by this film but it has somehow stayed with me in my subconscious for many weeks now, a sign of a good horror film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lockdown film recommendation: Dumbo (1941) U

Many of you are probably familiar with the Dumbo story, especially  due to the 2019 release of Tim Burton’s CGI laden remake.  Consider...