Saturday 23 April 2016

The purist cinema: the tearjerker

Tearjerker: a sentimental story, film, or song, calculated to evoke sadness or sympathy.

For a filmmaker, to reduce an audience to tears is quite possibly one of the most sought after reactions. It shows that the spectator has believed in the characters and truly invested in the film world that has been portrayed. I recollect when I was at school, Titanic was released at the cinema, and every teenage girl went to see it, at least twice, and boasted about crying at the end as a result of Leo/Jack's demise. So, when I finally went to see it, I waited and waited, but no tears came and I felt like I had been cheated of the full experience. I began to think, was there something wrong with me for not crying? Had I failed to understand something? However, what I missed at the time was the fact that the film had actually failed me - possibly one of the most tragic stories that have been depicted on the big screen and it did not move me. Mr Cameron, Terminator 2: Judgment Day was far more of an emotional rollercoaster than Titanic, I'm afraid!

Suffice it to say that many factors are involved in order to create this desired effect: environmental, personal experience, emotional, physical, company and so on. But regardless of these factors, one thing we all have in common is we want to be moved by a film, we want to believe in the characters and we want to invest ourselves fully. For some people they actively seek out this tearjerking experience again and again.

So, why do we subject ourselves to these emotional ordeals time and time again; is life not difficult enough? Cinema is cathartic, for both the filmmaker and the audience, and having a good cry can go hand in hand with this. Some films are designed specifically for this, whereas others, feature just a single scene which manages to reduce its audience to an emotional mess. I personally do not tend to seek out typical tearjerker dramas but I have still managed to come up with many films that 'get me' every time.

Obviously, this is an extremely personal list and one person's Achilles' heel is another person's Herculean strength! However, these are the ten films that have managed to reduce me to a quivering wreck, time and time again.

10. Dumbo (1941) /Bambi (1942)


In joint position at number 10 are these two famous Disney tearjerkers; a baby animal each losing their mother, struggling to survive and finding their way and identity in life. Disney being Disney means we all know it ends well, but I defy anyone to not feel incredible emotion during those early scenes of loss and vulnerability.



9. Up (2009)
One of the best opening sequences in film ever, Up boasts the most heartfelt montage of a main character's journey and loss. Unfortunately, the rest of the film doesn't live up to the magic of this opening but it's still an enjoyable ride.



8. Edward Scissorhands (1990)
The outsider is often at the heart of a tearjerking storyline and Edward Scissorhands recycles the famous Frankenstein's monster tale to new emotional heights. When Burton's small town society reject Edward due to a 'misunderstanding', we cannot help but feel his pain. Depp's portrayal is truly heartbreaking.



7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) / Midnight Special (2016)
These two films are in joint place due to the huge similarities in the type of emotions the films evoke. Nostalgia, an alien race and an incredibly strong bond between two characters are found in both films and they do both successfully achieve what they aim to set out to do. E.T. has many tearful moments, not just surrounding the character of E.T but also Elliott's coming of age tale is extremely moving. Whereas Midnight Special slowly builds until the tears flow during the spectacular climax.



6. My Girl (1991)
An extremely popular choice, particularly for my generation, My Girl shocks every time; I always watch it thinking that he won't actually die and especially not in such a horrific way, but of course he does, cue the tears.



5. Blue Valentine (2010)
A very real portrayal of the evolution and decline of a young couple's marriage told in a fragmented, non-linear narrative. The first time I watched this film I wasn't affected by it and not overly impressed, but a second viewing completely changed my opinion of this film and I was really moved by it - proof that there are many variables that affect a person's interpretation of a film.



4. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
Bleak and depressing pretty much sums up the ending to Darren Aronofsky's masterpiece. The combination of story, characters, shot type (see the famous high-angle foetal positions below) and the dramatic music result in a culmination of emotions during this tragic climax. Filmmaking at its most poignant and thought-provoking.



3. Amour (2012)
The clue is very much in the title here; this film is all about love, in fact the love of an ageing couple and what happens when one of them suffers a stroke. Amour is a carefully crafted film that explores true love with a level of realism that few films achieve, making it all the more emotive.




2. The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012)
Anything to do with the big 'C' and it's a guaranteed cry-fest. But add in a beautifully developed relationship between two likeable and fascinating characters and then a child and you are going to be emotionally battered by the end of it. An alluringly poetic love story with a tragedy that is difficult to truly comprehend, this film will stay with you for days after.




1. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Dancer in the Dark explores the antithesis to the Hollywood dream. I think I probably cried for the whole of the last half an hour of this film; it is absolutely devastating. Lars Von Trier is one of the most interesting filmmakers working today and this film belongs to his body of work of more overtly emotional experiences. Words cannot get across the sheer emotional impact it had on me when I watched this film for the first time - a feeling that will stay with me for the rest of my life and therefore this is cinema at its purist and most affecting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lockdown film recommendation: Dumbo (1941) U

Many of you are probably familiar with the Dumbo story, especially  due to the 2019 release of Tim Burton’s CGI laden remake.  Consider...